Friday, April 29, 2011

What a Lifting Belt Is and Isn't

I'm a little confused about what people consider a weightlifting belt to be. I see people wearing them all the time in the gym for everything that they shouldn't be wearing them for. They're worn from the moment they walk in till they're done. WHAT? WHY?@?!11?1 >:[

I see people wearing a belt when they curl, shoulder press thing, tricep pulldowns, use dumbbells, everything else that's atrocious. This confirms my suspicion that they have no idea what a lifting belt is and what it's meant to do.

During heavy lifts there's a build up of internal pressure in your 'core' that's similar in effect to the val salva maneuver which is a natural response by your body to counter the pressure of the weight. This in a sense stabilizes or protects your spine and keeps your lower back in proper lumbar extension. I don't know why but I've seen some ridiculously stupid looking belts that are a certain width across the front then get much wider at the back. This is dumb and wrong and blasphemous. The belt acts against the abs area. Let me explain. When you're squatting heavy weight you're putting lots of pressure on your back. The point of the belt which mimics the val salva maneuver and exaggerates it is to counter this pressure and cause some stability of the spine and tightness of the back to help you lift better and safer.

If you know what you're doing you'll a) use a belt only for the right exercises, and b) only use it for heavy sets. You don't need a belt when you're curling 5lb dumbbells or walking around looking like an idiot which unfortunately I see way too often. I only use a belt for my heavy sets and even for those I technically shouldn't be. Use the belt too much and your core will under develop and not be able to counter the pressure on its own. At much higher weights though a belt is perfectly acceptable to use. I see people buy these big flashy belts walking around the gym looking like they just won UFC; I'm surprised they don't wear it on their shoulders looking like an even bigger idiot.

It's hard to explain how helpful it is, but the first time I used a belt I felt like I was still on my warm up sets when I was squatting full weight. The tightness it causes on your back is extremely helpful and can easily help you lift much more weight. A proper lifting belt and some good lifting shoes are the only real things any lifter needs. I'll talk about weightlifting shoes another time.

Squat - 405 1x3
Press - 165 1x4 (was meant to do 3, but since I'm such a baller I did 4)
Clean - 152.5 5x3

PEACE OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment