Friday, April 8, 2011

City & Colour

Every once in a while I'll hear a really good song or discover a new artist that really clicks with me. It's not easy to describe but the best I can do is like saying they write music that is exactly what you want to hear, all the time.

Since I discovered Dallas Green of City & Colour I've completely raised the bar for my standards of music. This guy probably has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard; mellow, soft, and full of emotion. In my opinion his first album 'Sometimes' was the best one so far. It took him ten years to write and after hearing the album you can tell why. He's grown a lot as an artist and his style has changed drastically over the years. 'Sometimes' was a purely acoustic album; the next one 'Bring Me Your Love' was slightly more upbeat. He brought in a drummer and bassist and recorded the album in a very pure way; just instruments and microphones, no major sound editing, just a really intimate feel to the music.

That was about 4 years ago, he's been busy with his band Alexisonfire in the meantime working on a couple of new albums. His third album which comes out this June is called 'Little Hell', and so far he's released one single called 'Fragile Bird'. If you hear any song from 'Sometimes' and compare it to this one, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. I almost wasn't sure if this was him when I first heard the song, and to be honest it'll have to grow on me, it didn't do much for me the first couple of times I heard it. But as all artists grow, they sometimes change their sound, for better or worse, you decide.

Here's a sample from each album:







Todays jim session to be posted later.

No comments:

Post a Comment