Monday, April 11, 2011

Did You Know?

Ok maybe I spoke too soon, training at 6 am isn't that bad. I had to change my schedule around but it was worth it, getting up at 5:30 will be my new Monday routine.

It was actually a little busier than I thought today, will I ever get away from the Biceps Boys?!

I never realized there were 18 variations of every exercise, today's gym session really opened my eyes to new methods of training. Did you know you can curl:

1)while standing
2)while sitting
3)while lying on the floor with legs raised in the air
4)while squatting
5)while squatting with one leg
6)while squatting with one leg on a Swiss ball
7)while squatting with one leg on a Swiss ball while hopping with the other leg through a flaming hoop
8)while standing on a bench (this MUST have something to do with the lesser amount of oxygen higher up in the atmosphere of the room causing your lungs to work harder and subsequently relaying that effort into your biceps)
9)while texting
10)while on the treadmill
11)while casually walking around the gym carelessly swinging your arms around. It's only dumbbells in your hand, if you happen to accidentally let go of one you'll only knock someone out, no biggie.

I've been unfortunate enough to witness most of these, with the exception of the flaming hoop, although I'm sure someone's working on that as I write this. I saw one guy today repeatedly ask his personal trainer if benching works his biceps. Needless to say that got me a little frustrated, partly at the absurdity of the question and partly at his obsession with wanting to work his biceps. It made me realize how superficial fitness and exercise has become to some people.

Last Friday while doing cleans this one guy walked in front of me twice and twice he got hit with the bar. I mean you'd think the first time he walked in front of someone throwing a weighted bar in the air and getting hit with it he'd learn a lesson, but apparently I was wrong. It took him getting hit again to realize that you don't walk infront of moving barbells. He had the nerve to give me a 'ouch man that hurt' look. At that point I wanted to launch him across the room but I figured I wouldn't have enough energy to complete my set afterwards.

Squat - 365 8x3 Hard, but manageable.
Press - 145 5x5
Deadlift - 365 1x5

I ended up with some lower back pain that will hopefully clear out by Wednesday after some foam rolling tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment