Sunday, August 22, 2010

Supplements - What's Necessary and What Isn't.

Supplements. What is a supplement? According to the online Cambridge dictionary, this defines a supplement:

supplement noun /ˈsʌp.lɪ.mənt/ [C]
• something which is added to something else in order to improve it or complete it; something extra

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/supplement_1

Note the phrase 'to complete it' in the above definition. I think this is what people overlook the most. Sports supplements these days are being used way more than they should be and even worse is they're being used to replace real food.

Every time I walk into a health/supplement store I'm never surprised to see the number of clueless kids spending tons of money on supplements and products they don't need. With all the variety nowadays from pump enhancers to triple extreme protein to products that claim to do everything for you except lift the actual weights, I don't blame them. The worst part is that they end up feeling like they need these products because of false advertising and marketing scams. It's taken some time to really learn to avoid such things, but once you start to analyze a product and look beyond the catchy terms and pretty colors, they really don't end up being all that amazing.

I've seen (and had experience) with employees trying to convince myself and others that products x and y will do this and that for me and if I'm serious about weightlifting then I'll buy them. Unfortunately half these people don't even know what they're talking about. Save your money, save your health and stick with the basic supplements that have been shown for many many years to have any sort of benefit and forget the ones that come and go like fad diets.

I've always been a believer in choosing real food over any kind of supplement, but for no other reason than convenience, there's a couple of supplements I'll continue to use and will advise anyone to use. These supplements are also the most researched and have stood the test of time. Stick to the basics like whey protein, some fish oil and a solid multivitamin (the last one is not even necessary if your diet is in check). Whey is nothing more than a protein that's created as a by-product of cheese production. It's cheap in bulk, easy to carry around, and very convenient to take with you to the gym.



http://biofoodpharma.com/loja/images/100-whey-protein-2342g.jpg

Tons and tons of research has gone into the effects of fish oils in the body. Omega 3 is primarily responsible for all the health benefits that fish oil are known for, and unless you're consuming higher than average amounts of fatty fish per week, chances are you can really benefit from some fish oil. With the overabundance of Omega 6 in the modern day diet, Omega 3 is needed the balance out the natural ratio. Fish oil has been shown to drop triglycerides, reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol and improve skin among tons of other effects.

Have a quick read through this website if you want to learn more: http://www.fish-oil-advice.com/benefits-of-fish-oil/

Supplements that claim to give you intense pumps in the gym are nothing more than marketing scams in my opinion. I'm no one special, with nothing more than an average athletic build. I have no super genetic inclination towards any kind of food and I can say that after eating a full, balanced breakfast with some coffee I have all the energy I need to get through a solid gym session. The ingredients list of some of these crazy products looks more like a list of all the things that go into a lethal injection. Caffeine has been shown to be an excellent pre-workout stimulant, so why people still continue to waste tons of money on useless supplements is beyond me.

http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/18

http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/5

You'll do much more for your health if you take the time and effort to clean up your diet. Stick to whole foods, eat more fruits and vegetables, and eat less processed food. I read somewhere once that it takes on average 3 weeks for the brain to develop any sort of habit. Make the effort to change something from your diet every few days and soon enough you won't even miss it.

3 comments:

  1. You are no one special???? What kind of rubbish is that?! *slaps you* Don't make me link you that plastic bag video again!!

    I'm going to do the Sharif Jomaa DOUBLE THE POINTS food intake diet. YAY! If it works, you get a prize. If it doesn't, I get a prize. Okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. UNCLE SHARIF!! That's my new name for you! Is it good? You likes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting bored of commenting on the same post, Eli Jomes....

    What's up with the serious slackage?!

    ReplyDelete